Hot on the heels of the delayed June playlist, here’s some (more) summery music mix goodness.
New Sea Wolf, new Matt & Kim, new The Killers, new Missy Higgins, new The Darkness, new Avett Brothers, new A B And The Sea… another heaping of Of Monsters And Men, a slew of Savages soundtrack selections (including a cover of Talking Heads “Psycho Killer”), some Lumineers, some Kitten, some Alabama Shakes, some Shearwater…
Roll down the windows, turn up the stereo, hit the road, don’t stop til the music ends or you get to the beach… whichever comes first.
“I don’t want to move away, I just want a constant vacation.
I don’t want to hold you down, I just want to hold your hand.”
Mix Tape 55: We Can’t Wait Til Tomorrow Tracklist:
- Matt & Kim – Let’s Go
- A B & The Sea – Constant Vacation
- The Killers – Runaways
- Shearwater – You as You Were
- The Avett Brothers – Live And Die
- Of Monsters And Men – From Finner
- Sea Wolf – Old Friend
- Cut Copy – Where I’m Going
- Kitten – Cut It Out
- The Darkness – Everybody Have A Good Time
- Jeff Lynne – Do Ya
- Of Monsters And Men – Mountain Sound
- Shearwater – Animal Life
- David Byrne & St. Vincent – Who
- Bruce Lash – Psycho Killer
- Missy Higgins – All in My Head
- Alabama Shakes – I Found You
- The Lumineers – Stubborn Love
- Of Monsters And Men – Lakehouse
- Yuna – Here Comes the Sun
“And we are far from home, but we’re so happy
Far from home, all alone, but we’re so happy…”
“It was undeniably summer and I was certifiably cool.”
Yeah, it’s a month late. Sue me.
(Rock and roll doesn’t have a watch.)
It’s been up and running on Spotfy for the last month, it was done; I just got lazy and didn’t post the damn thing. Nobody called me on it until this past weekend, so, for that one person, here is your mixtape for June (pretend you got it then.)
New covers by Scala & Kolacny Brothers (haunting) and Cary Brothers (too much fun) and Conor Oberst (dedicated) and that great Jimmy Fallon as The Doors singing the “Reading Rainbow” theme that is too great not to include.
New singles from Gaslight Anthem and Golden State (superb) and The Heavy and The Darkness (playful) and Matchbox Twenty (yeah, you know what, they’re a guilty pleasure and have been, and, you know what, I love this new song, “She’s So Mean” and you will too).
And a lot of Of Monsters and Men because I listened to the fuck out of that album last month and all this month and all the time everywhere. I don’t know why you don’t own it if you don’t. I can’t help you; you’re lost as a human being if you don’t own it. Thems the breaks.
Oh, and even though there’s a Bowie cover I also threw in “Modern Love” because it’s been in my head all the time, too, and was my unofficial theme song to logomkr’s wedding in early June.
So there ya go.
- Of Monsters And Men – Six Weeks
- Cary Brothers – Absolute Beginners (feat. Butterfly Boucher)
- David Bowie – Modern Love
- Golden State – Bombs
- Matchbox Twenty – She’s So Mean
- The Heavy – What Makes A Good Man?
- The Darkness – Every Inch Of You
- Jimmy Fallon – The Doors Sing “Reading Rainbow”
- The Gaslight Anthem – “45”
- Conor Oberst and The Mystic Valley Band – Kodachrome
- Cory Branan – Yesterday (Circa Summer 80 Somethin)
- The Henry Clay People – Hide
- Of Monsters And Men – Little Talks
- Milo Greene – 1957
- Moon Taxi – Gunflower
- Cary Brothers – Ordinary World
- Katie Herzig – Lost And Found
- Scala & Kolacny Brothers – Under The Bridge
- Of Monsters And Men – Your Bones
You can listen to most of those on Spotify at the links and here, and download the whole thing to listen to on your computer or iPhone or Zune or whatever here.
Sorry for the delay.
“Every now and then she makes you just a little bit crazy
She’ll turn the knife into your back and then she’s calling you ‘baby’
She’ll make you take her to the club, but then she leaves with her friends
She likes to stay late at the party cause the fun never ends
And all her clothes are on the floor, and all your records are scratched
She’s like a one-way ticket cause you can’t come back”
Well here it goes again
Another losing streak.
Guess I’m on a roll.
I haven’t got a chance, I’m too weak
She sucks my soul.
So begins Brendan Benson’s “Bad For Me”, and so begins our mix for May.
Featuring new music from FM Radio, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros (can’t wait for them to butcher that one live), Jack White, JJAMZ, Sugar & the Hi Lows, Missy Higgins, Scars on 45, Glen Hansard, Rufus Wainwright, and The Lumineers, Let’s Get Lost In Los Angeles is a mix about wants and needs, second chances and last chances, mistakes and desires, breaking up, breaking down, and breaking out.
It’s as much about the distance between people as it is the distance between places.
Time to get lost.
Mix Tape 53: Let’s Get Lost In Los Angeles tracklist
- Brendan Benson – Bad for Me
- Dr. Dog – Control Yourself
- Jack White – I’m Shakin’
- Foxy Shazam – Last Chance At Love
- Gotye – Save Me
- JJAMZ – Heartbeat
- Heartless Bastards – Only For You
- Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros – That’s What’s Up
- Florence + The Machine – Jackson - MTV Unplugged, 2012
- Fm Radio – Broke Down & Broke Up
- Sugar & The Hi Lows – Think I Said Too Much
- Missy Higgins – Unashamed Desire
- The Echo-Friendly – Same Mistakes
- Scars On 45 – Give Me Something
- Harper Simon – Wishes And Stars
- Glen Hansard – Love Don’t Leave Me Waiting
- Paddy Casey – Everybody Wants
- Rufus Wainwright – Sometimes You Need
- The Lumineers – Ho Hey
- Us & Our Daughters – Honey
- Fm Radio – Happily Ever After
- The Fray – Be Still
Themes of traveling, of old towns and dying towns, of towns not like yours and just like yours; of roads and escape, of running and driving and just getting away; of drinking, of fighting, of loving; of trains and cars and flying and floating; of old songs, of punk rock, of rock and roll.
All of that and more is what permeates within the confines of Songs You Used To Sing To Me, which features David Byrne and Caetano Veloso dueting on Talking Heads tracks; songs from The Hunger Games; old songs, covers, and new songs from Springsteen, Birdy, Delta Spirit, Heartless Bastards, fun. and Lynda Kay.
Foxy Shazam opens with:
I want my friends to think I’m awesome.
I want this world to think I care
I don’t care at all.
and Bruce ends with:
Carries saints and sinners
Carries losers and winners
Carries whores and gamblers
Carries lost souls
So hit the links below and take a ride.
Mix Tape 52: Songs You Used To Sing To Me (April 2012) tracklist:
- Foxy Shazam – Wanna-be Angel
- Keane – Silenced By The Night
- Walk the Moon – Anna Sun
- Taylor Swift – Eyes Open
- Bruce Springsteen – Death To My Hometown
- Delta Spirit – Idaho
- Will Johnson – Old L.A.
- Lynda Kay – Jack & Coke
- Caetano Veloso and David Byrne – [Nothing but] Flowers - Live
- Heartless Bastards – Got To Have Rock And Roll
- Foxy Shazam – I Wanna Be Yours
- Fun. – Why Am I the One
- Jayme Dee – Rules
- Birdy – 1901
- Rosi Golan – Can’t Go Back
- Miranda Lambert – Run Daddy Run
- Tired Pony – Get On The Road
- Caetano Veloso and David Byrne – Road to Nowhere - Live
- Bruce Springsteen – Land of Hope and Dreams
This month’s mixtape is late for a variety of reasons, though technically it’s been ready since the beginning of the month.
You see, after 50 months of making and posting digital mixes online, I finally incurred the wrath of a label who rather forcibly yanked the last one off line.
So I had to go about trying to figure out what to do with this one.
And I finally thought, eh, fuck it. Let’s just keep the train a rollin’.
This month’s (belated) mix features plenty of fun. and Foxy Shazam, plenty of oldies by way of The Monkees and Death Cab (back when Death Cab was listenable), plenty of covers (the superb “Downtown” and reserved “Go Your Own Way” and Buddy Holly’s “You’re So Square” reworked by Cee-Lo and, of course, Willie Nelson’s “The Scientist” cover), plenty of new music by way of Sleigh Bells and Andrew Bird and Dr. Dog, and, of course, that great Robyn/Whitney Houston mash-up.
Mixtape 51: Everything’s Waiting For You (March 2012) tracklist:
The Saw Doctors – Downtown (feat. Petula Clark)
Fun. – Some Nights
Foxy Shazam – Holy Touch
Sleigh Bells – Crush
Zooash – Dancing in Houston (Robyn vs Whitney Houston)
Foxy Shazam – Oh Lord
Fun. – Out on the Town - Bonus Track
Cee-Lo Green – (You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care
Mates of State – At Least I Have You
Graffiti6 – Free
The Daylights – Weapons
Ed Sheeran – Give Me Love
Frank Turner – Photosynthesis
Dr. Dog – That Old Black Hole
The Monkees – This Just Doesn’t Seem To Be My Day
Andrew Bird – Eyeoneye
Lissie – You Can Go Your Own Way
Death Cab for Cutie – Transatlanticism
Willie Nelson – The Scientist